Tuesday, October 16, 2012

MCT ~ "Show Me Your Technique"


Hello everyone!  It's time for another fun segment of "Show Me Your Technique" with My Creative Time.  You should have arrived here from the super talented Cathryn's blog. If not, then make sure you go back and start there because you don't want to miss a thing!


For those of you who are new to this, every Tuesday a few of the MCT ~ Design Team Members will share with you one of their favorite crafting techniques.  So if you are like me and have ever wondered "How did they do that?" - well here is your chance to find out.

In the last couple of weeks, I have received several comments and a couple of questions about how I create some of my sentiments.  So today, I thought I would show you:  how to alter and combine your stamps to create fabulous custom sentiments.

Here are the main products I am using today: 



For my project, I am going to make a little Baby Shower Gift Card.


I am using these 3 sentiment stamps from the MCT ~ Card Sentiments with 3x3 Fancy Tri-fold Card stamp set. Now even though these sentiments are perfectly awesome the way they are, I am going to create a new sentiment.  So let's get started.


I am going to start with the "Get Well Soon" stamp.  The word I want from this stamp is "So" which will be take from "Soon".


Take two pieces of tape (any kind of regular tape will do).  Place one piece of tape over the "on" and the second piece of tape over the "Well".  You could also cover the "Get", but I am going to carefully ink it up, so I will make sure not to get any ink on that part.


Ink up your stamp like you normally would - making sure to get the ink on the "So".



Remove the two pieces of tape - being careful not to get ink all over yourself...LOL.


Now the "So" is all inked up and ready to stamp as usual.


Before you start stamping, be sure to measure out the space you will need for your entire sentiment.


Now grab the "Happy Birthday" stamp.


This time I want the "Happy".  So place a piece of tape over all or part of the word "Birthday".


Ink up the stamp as usual and then remove the tape.


Stamp the "Happy" onto your project.


Next up is the "Grateful for You" stamp.



This time I want the "for You", so place a piece of tape over the word "Grateful".  Ink up as usual and remove the tape.


Stamp the "for You" onto your project.  And there you have it!  We have created a new sentiment "So Happy for You". Super cool huh?


Here is the finished project:


The Baby Girl card on the left is made with the MCT ~ 3x3 Fancy Tri-fold Card Die that comes in the Card Sentiments stamp set.  The Baby Boy card on the right is made with the all time greatest invention ever - the MCT ~ Embossed Gift Card Holder Die.  For the embellishments on both of them, I used the MCT ~ Scallop & Stitched Circle Dies.  For the "Welcome Sweet Baby" circle sentiment, I used the MCT ~ All Around Everything stamp set.  And for the cute little images inside the circles, I used the MCT ~ All Around Everything Accessories stamp set.  I colored the images with Prismacolor ~ Pencils and then blended with Odorless Mineral Spirits.  I added a little Orange Peel ~ Stickles to the baby carriage.  The ribbon and brads are from my stash.  For ink, I used black ~ Ranger Archival Ink and Rich Cocoa ~ Memento Ink.  The solid color cardstock is from Recollections.  The patterned paper for the Baby Girl card is from the Doodlebug Design ~ Sugar & Spice Collection.  And the patterned paper for the Baby Boy card is from the Doodlebug Design ~ Snips & Snails Collection.



Pretty easy don't you think?  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.  I can't wait to see you all give it a try. Have fun!

I think I am the final stop in the mini blog hop, but here is the entire lineup in case you need it:

Cassandra (that's me!)

Have a great day everyone!  I hope you learn some fun and creative new techniques.  Happy Crafting!!!!  :)  

24 comments :

Maureen Reiss said...

Awesome way to stretch your stamps!! Love this idea!! TFS

CherylB said...

Cool! I've done this using one stamp but never thought about taking bits and pieces and making a whole new sentiment! Way to go, awesome idea.

Brenda said...

What a fabulous tips and a great way to get more miles out of our stamps!

Crafting Katie said...

Awesome, Cassandra! Your gift card holders came out so cute!!!

snappy scrappy said...

Great tutorial! Lee-Ann :)

Craft Me This said...

Thanks for the info.

Felicia - Scrapper in the Making said...

Thanks for the tip, girlfriend. Now I know I wasn't the only on thinking and doing things this way. I couldn't imagine cutting my stamps so taping them off the the best/other alternative...lol TFS, Smooches...

Cindy said...

Awesome!! I love how you used 3 different stamps to create one sentiment!! Great idea!! :)
Hugs,
Cindy

Linda V said...

Great job on the masking technique. Now I need to play word games and figure out all the combinations!

quilt4fun2 said...

This is a great way to expand the use of our stamps and get the sentiment we want just a little different. Thanks for showing how you do it! Your cards are adorable!
quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

Kim H said...

Cassandra ~ AWESOME tutorial!! I LOVe that you showed yus to use different word from different stamps to create your own "special" sentiment!! BRAVO!! GREAT idea and tutorial!! I have to say your gift card holders are soooo ADORABLE!!!

Shar said...

Such cute cards, Cassandra!!! Love that you showed this technique. I use it ALL the time to make my own sentiments. :)

tracym110 said...

Wow!! Great job!! Looks like the sentiment is just one stamp!! Thanks so much for showing this!! Cute cards too!!
Tracy

Glora said...

You come up with some of the best sentiments. I love that you showed this step by step because I didn't know how to do it for quite a while and I was so glad when someone showed me how. Awesome job. The card and gift card turned out ADORABLE. Hugs- Glora

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.com) said...

Very clever!!

Danielle Lee said...

Wow! Now that's thinking out of the box. I sit there trying to not get the ink where I don't want it and it never works. I never even thought of good ol' scotch tape. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tammy Jones said...

Thank you for this great tip! Do you have any ideas for lining everything up?

Anonymous said...

I love all your projects. How do you make such perfect bows? Keep up the great work.

Cindy said...

Great job with your technique Cassandra!your cards are way too CUTE and great sentiment,Have a great week!!!:)

Kathy Salido said...

What a great tip for getting more use out of stamps!! Thanks for sharing!!

JoAnn said...

Thanks so much for sharing that!!! I will give this a try. I.m sure this tip will be used!
JoAnn
P.S. Great cards!!!

Jeanne said...

What a fabulous technique! I love that all of the My Creative Time stamps coordinate together and we can try out these cool stamping techniques!

Melissa said...

How clever! Makes that sentiment set even more versatile. Your baby cards are absolutely adorable! TFS

liz at liz's paper loft said...

just fabulous, how you made "your own" stamp! great tutorial!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...