Tuesday, August 28, 2012

MCT ~ "Show Me Your Technique"

Hello everyone!  Emma with My Creative Time has created a fun new segment called "Show Me Your Technique". Every Tuesday, 3 members of the MCT ~ Design Team will have a mini blog hop where hopefully you will learn all kinds of new stuff!  I remember when I was brand new to the world of paper crafting, I searched all over the internet for fun tips and techniques - always ready to learn something new.  So hopefully this will be fun and exciting for you.  You should have arrived here from Amy's blog, if not make sure you go back there so you can start at the beginning.

TECHNIQUE:  How to use Odorless Mineral Spirits with your colored pencils. 

For all of you who may be intimidated by all the fancy markers out there now, this technique is for you.  I learned it last year from a sweet Cricut Circle member named Sandy.  And I've also seen Nikki from Scrappin' Navy Wife use it too.

Here are the supplies you will need:




You can find Odorless Mineral Spirits at Walmart in the spray paint section.  In order to make it easier to use, I have this smaller bottle, which I got in the spice section at Target.  (Since I don't cook...LOL...I just poured out the spice and poured in the liquid).  I have Prismacolor ~ Pencils, but any brand you have will do.  And in the bottom left corner of the picture are these little pencil like thingies called Tortillons.  You can get these at Michaels or Joanns in the art section.


INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Stamp the image of your choice.  (I use black ~ Ranger Archival Ink).
  • Color in the image with your colored pencils. (For my images today I colored fairly lightly, but you can color darker if you want).
  • Take your Tortillon and dip the tip of it into the Odorless Mineral Spirits.
  • Then, use the Tortillon and go back over the coloring - using the same motion just like you were using the colored pencil .  (I use a different Tortillon for each color).
  • Periodically, you will need to keep dipping the Tortillon into the Odorless Mineral Spirits and continue as before.

What you will notice is that the color will become much deeper and richer, as well as look a little smoother.  Here are some before and after images:




BEFORE.  These cute little snowmen are from the My Creative Time ~ All Around Accessories stamp set.




AFTER.  Can you see the difference?  I used the Odorless Mineral Spirits on the snowman on the left.




BEFORE. This cute couple is from the Peachy Keen Stamps ~ Faceless Christmas Heads.  Their sweet little faces are from the Peachy Keen Stamps ~ Winter Wonderland Face Assortment.




DURING.  Here is a mid-action shot.  




AFTER.  Isn't the difference amazing?  And it's so much easier than using those fancy markers AND much cheaper too!!!




BEFORE.  These little Santa coats are also from the My Creative Time ~ All Around Accessories stamp set.




AFTER.  Once again, you can see the richer and smoother look. I love it!!!


Here is the final product.  Super cute!  I just love them all. These are all the brand new My Creative Time ~ Card Sentiments with Fancy Tri-fold Card.




The paper for this card is from the Recollections ~ Sugar Plums stack.  I used some pop dots behind the snowman.  I also added some Glossy Accents to his hat.  The crinkle ribbon is from my stash.  I used Versamark ~ Watermark Ink and White ~ Stampendous Embossing Powder to heat emboss the sentiment.  Inside is a yummy Ghirardelli Chocolate!




The paper for this card is from the Recollections ~ Jingle Bells stack.  I used some pop dots behind the little snowlady.  And I added some Glossy Accents to her hat.  The pretty twine is The Twinery ~ Pink Sorbet twine.  




The paper for this card is from the Recollections ~ Sugar Plums stack.  I used some pop dots behind the Santa coat.  I added Star Dust ~ Stickles for some sparkle.  And the bow is made with white ~ DMC floss.


Here are some final comparison photos:






Well, that's it my creative friends.  I hope you learned something new.  Don't be afraid to try it.  It's super fun and super easy.  And it's just a little something extra to make your projects really pop!!!  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me.  :)

Your next stop in the hop is Cathryn.  Happy crafting!

47 comments :

My Creative Time said...

I will NOT BE AFRAID! lol.... I've used my pencils, but I was terrified to use the mineral spirits!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVED your technique & THANK YOU for giving me that EXTRA PUSH I needed to use my mineral spirits w/my prismacolor pencils!!!
Big HUGE hugs,
Emma:)

Joan Smith said...

What a great tip and you do such a fantastic job at coloring it is amazing how different the look is. You are extremely talented my girl who cares that you don't cook!! Maybe Rachel Ray can't color (LOL)

CRAZY4 CHRIST said...

Super cute cards!! I bought mineral spirits awhile ago and have tried alittle bit with them but I think i will give it a try again, do you use water color paper or just normal card stock??
Kristan

Margie said...

Ahhhhh.....one of my all time favorite techniques! I've shied away from it for so long now. You have inspired me to break out the Gamsol and Prisma pencils! Your cards are adorable and your coloring is fantastic! TFS!

Pamela said...

Never heard of this technique......I must try....Thank you!! Love it

Lisa said...

WOW, love that technique. I know I like using my pencils but the coloring doesn't look smooth, now I see using the mineral spirits will make me want to use the pencils so much more. Can the spirits be used with any colored pencils?

Crafting Katie said...

Awesome technique, Cassandra! What a difference that makes! I definitely need to try this!!!

Glora said...

I have a bunch of PrismaColor pencils and I've tried this technique with baby oil (just not the same too greasy). Anyway, I've just been afraid to use the OMS with the kiddos around but I think that I'm finally ready to give it a try and just keep the OMS far out of their reach. These turned out BEAUTIFUL! Hugs- Glora

Rosie said...

WOW! love this techinique it sure does save on the pocket book. I will try to go find this stuff.

rosiemini@gmail.com
www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I love how there's a way to use colored pencils to get a much nicer look! FYI, it works the same with baby oil! And from my experience, it DOESN'T still smell like baby oil after it dries, so that won't be an issue.

Angel Johns said...

Love this technique. It would definitely be out of my comfort zone to try this but I think it would be worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Craft Me This said...

I like it, I like it.

Janice said...

I think I'm going to really enjoy these segments :) How cool is that! I'm not a marker kind of gal, but do have a few 'fancy' crayons to use, I think I may just give this a try! TFS :)

Brenda said...

This is fabulous and it sounds so do-able! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Awesome tip!TFS

liz at liz's paper loft said...

what a fabbie technique! your cards came out just adorable too!

antdoda said...

This is really cool I have wondered how this worked!! Thanks for sharing!!

Brenda said...

this technique is interesting! I love your cards, and all the little extras you do to your projects!

Kristi said...

Now I love my pencils to color with, I am not the best with them, but I would rather use pencil than marker. Thanks for the great tip!

Percilla G said...

Great job showing how this technique works and thanks for sharing where the mineral spirits can be found

Kim said...

Hi Cassandra. What brand of paper do you stamp on? Great technique and it's much appreciated how you showed the comparison. TFS,Kim

lindagk23 said...

Thank you for sharing this technique! I loved seeing the before and after and will have to give this a try. And your cards are so adorable! Thank you so much for sharing this idea! lindagk23

Diana said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have been wanting to get some pencils for a while now!

LindaV said...

I love this technique. Really makes your coloring pop. Added to the todo list.

Felicia - Scrapper in the Making said...

OK, Girlfriend I will give it another try. I may not have been using the right odorless spirits. My blending never looked like this. With your picture-torial I am brave enough to try again. Gotta get to Walmart on the way home...lol. Smooches...

quilt4fun2 said...

I guess I need to put the mineral spirits on my list of things I need to get...this is great and really brings the colors out more. I better remember to get the Tortillons also :D Would be just like me to forget those!
quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

CA Scrapper said...

Very cool technique. I will have to try this!

Leslie

Shar said...

I have never heard of this before. How cool is this!? Great job, Cassandra

Brenda said...

I love coloring this way and this is a great way to color when you don't want to use the bigger markers on such a small stamp. I've seen people color with the spirits and the pencils and I've sworn that they used Copics when they didn't. Great tip!!!

Ruthie @ SeptemberNinth said...

I have been a total chicken about mineral spirits but you made it look so easy! I am defiantly going to pick some up on my next trip to WM. GREAT technique Cassandra!

Ruthie :)

Amy C said...

Great tutorial!! I really love the bolder look with the mineral spirits. Great use of Miss Emma's new dies, too. Gotta remember that!! ♥

Dawn, RI said...

Wow... it really does make a difference. love the cards, thanks for sharing.
DawnRI

Carol said...

Fabulous technique, I have not seen this before and will definitely have to give mineral spirits with my pencils a try! Thank you for sharing

Kim's Kreations said...

Super tip. I will have to look for these items next time I go to Walmart. I will have to give this a try. LOVE the way the cards look after using this technique. Thanks for sharing.
Ogdendoll @gmail.com

Marilyn said...

Awesome technique and love your cards

Coelle said...

What a GREAT technique ....I think controlling the color would be so much easier with the pencils and mineral spirits instead of color markers/ink. Thanks so much!!!

maryanns said...

I have never heard of this technique, but it looks fabulous! You can really tell the difference in the before and after photos.

D- said...

Love it! TFS.
I am so going to try tis one.
Gotta go shopping for a few things.
dmcardmaker (at AOL)

Gina said...

wow I LOVE this! Iw as sooo afraid, apprehensive about using the mineral spirits, thanks for the clarity of how easy it really is! Thanks!
GinasCreativePlace.blogspot.com

Patty said...

Thanks Cassandra..very cute cards! I am very intimidated by the fancy markers and use the Prisma pencils & mineral spirits...just feel like I have more control with this method!

Once I felt that was definitely the coloring method for me, I bought the 132 pencil set at Michaels..it was 40% off, plus I had an additional 25% off sale items. What a great bargain.

Thanks for the tip on where to get mineral spirits..I will need to replenish soon and there's a Walmart right over the hill from our house!!

Momof4inArlington said...

Your cards are absolutely adorable, (so are Emma's stamps)! I can't afford to invest in markers, but with 4 kids, I have dozens of colored pencils! This will definitely spark some of colored projects to life...Thank you!

melllisssa said...

I can honestly say that I'm one who's been so intimidated and scared of trying markers. They're just so expensive and I'm terrified to invest so much money in something that I may or may not like. That's why I'm so very happy that you've shared this technique. I've never heard of mineral spirits before, but I love the effect that it has on the color pencils! Beautiful projects (as always)! I especially love the Santa jacket with the pretty stickles :)

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Maureen Reiss said...

Great tecnique!! I love my prismacolor pencils and mineral spirits!

Crafty Moni said...

What a cool technique. Thanks for all the great pictures:)
Peace, Love, & Cricut Hugs!
Monica L.

Cindy said...

AWESOME job with your Technique Cassandra!all your gift card holders are ADORABLE with your great coloring my friend,FANTASTIC as always!!!:)

Got2BCrafting said...

Thanks so much for reminding me of this great technique. I have ALL of the supplies, but never really did anything with them. You have totally inspired me to get my stuff out and USE it!! :)
Hugs,
Lori

VICTORIA said...

Thanks for the great tip i will have to try this!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...