Monday, April 30, 2012

Scrappy Monday with My Creative Time


Hello everyone!  Are you ready for something new & super fun???  Emma with My Creative Time has created a great new segment called "Scrappy Monday".  And it's going to be a challenge!  The guidelines for today's challenge:  Make a scrapbook layout based on the following sketch.  It can be any size of your choice - ranging from 6x6 to 12x12.

I think this is so great!!!  How many of you are behind in your scrapbooking?  I know that I am...LOL.  Ever since I started making cards & 3D items, my scrapbooking has been a little neglected.  So I am hoping to catch up a bit.  :)  My scrapbooking style is pretty clean and simple...nothing too fancy - so I hope you will like it.

Here is today's sketch:


And here is my 8x8 layout:


Yep, that's me!  A couple of years ago, my husband and I went to Hawaii ~ specifically the island of Kauai.  This particular photo is one of my favorites.  We took a helicopter tour of the island.  And this particular helicopter tour was super special, because the helicopter landed at this beautiful waterfall. And this is not just ANY waterfall.  This is the waterfall from the Jurassic Park movie where the helicopter lands and takes off. You couldn't really see much of the landing pad any more, but they made us wear these funny little blue booties over our shoes to protect the area.  We were able to get out of the helicopter long enough to take a photo and then jump back in. The whole scene was absolutely breathtaking!!!


The piece of black cardstock for the background is from Recollections.  The aqua colored cardstock in the background, as well as the shimmery aqua paper for the tag are both from the Die Cuts With A View ~ Linen Closet cardstock stack.  The journaling tag is cut with the My Creative Time ~ XL Label Die.  The ribbon on the tag is Celebrate It ~ Sheer Creations. The linen colored piece of paper in the middle portion of the background is from the Die Cuts With A View ~ Linen Closet paper collection.  

For the title, I used the small stitched circle die from the My Creative Time ~ Build A Banner Kit.  The off-white cardstock for them is from Recollections.  To stamp the title, I used the letter stamps from the My Creative Time ~ Anyday BINGO & Crossword stamp set.  The ink is black ~ Ranger Archival Ink.


If you look closely, the light aqua colored cardstock matting the photo is a pretty sparkly paper from the Die Cuts With A View ~ Spring Fling cardstock stack.  When you see it up close...it is so pretty and sparkly that it actually makes the waterfall look real!!!  The plain white cardstock directly behind the photo is Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart.  In order to follow the sketch, I cut the photo vertically into 3 pieces. **Note - This is a fun technique to try that works best on landscape or scenery type photos.  


For the pretty little flowers, I used the brand new My Creative Time ~ Flower Petal Dies.  The paper for the flowers is the same as the background piece and the title.  In the center of the flowers are these super fun new things I found at a recent scrapbook convention called Twinkle Goosebumps from Queen & Co.  They come in all different colors and of course...I had to get them all...LOL.


Well, that's it.  Pretty clean and simple, just like I said.  I haven't finished it yet (of course), but I will put some journaling on the tag behind the photo.

I hope you join us for this fun new challenge!  Let's get some scrapbooking done!!!  And don't forget to head on over to My Creative Time to see what the rest of the Design Team has created.  You will have until Sunday, May 13th to link up your layout.  I can't wait to see what you all make!

See you again tomorrow.  Have a super great day my creative friends!

16 comments :

CRAZY4 CHRIST said...

Very pretty layout!! What a great idea to have a sketch layout challenge!! I am so far behind on my layouts!!
Kristan

Kim H said...

Cassandra ~ Oh my what a BEAUTIFUL layout! The picture is breathtaking! I can see why you chose the aqua ~ the water in Hawaii is the most beautiful color~ I would LOVE to go back someday! How fun where you took the photo too! The flowers look so tropical on there! Nice to hear you are in the same boat as me on layouts!

Crafting Katie said...

Cassandra, I LOVE how you divided your picture in thirds! It looks so cool, and what a great pic! Your colors and the flower are so calming!

Kate said...

Cute LO. That picture is priceless. Love the Colors.

Hugs,
Kate

Micia said...

i really Love how you did this LO. I love that you cut the pic!! Perfect! love THOSE FLOWERS ;)

Micia

Glora said...

That waterfall is GORGEOUS!!!! You chose the perfect colors for your layout to accent the photo and I love the effect of it cut into 3 pieces like the sketch shows. AWESOME job! Hugs- Glora

LindaV said...

Everything about this LO came together so nicely. The colors, the design...I love it!

Jayne said...

Beautiful layout Cassandra.Love how you divided the piccie into 3.
Jayne x

Cindy said...

Hi Cassandra,Your layout is BEAUTIFUL!great picture and LOVE the pretty flowers and colors,AWESOME job as always!Have a great day!!!:)

Kerry~Momma K said...

A beautiful and simple layout!
Kerry

mommakcrafts.blogspot.com

Crafty Moni said...

Cute layout! I love the colors you used, and the picture you shared with us, looks like you had a lot of fun:)

Peace, Love, & Cricut Hug's!
Monica L.

VICTORIA said...

Hi Cassandra thanks for stopping by and yep they WERE real Lol. I love your layout page too!!!! Was gonna leave a comment earlier but had major problems with my computer had to get an online tech to go thru it with a fine tooth comb and he found plenty. But all is good now. :)

quilt4fun2 said...

I love your story about the photo and your title is clever to use the circles and letters. I like simple on my pages also which are WAY behind! So much to do and so little time. Great job!
quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

Cindy said...

Such a pretty page,Cassandra!! I love the photo!! Great colors! :)
HUGS,
Cindy

Jeanne said...

I just LOVE your layout! We also went on a tour to some of the Jurassic Park movie sites, not this beautiful waterfall though...hmmm...I think I need to go to Kauai now! :)

AJ Scrapbooking and Cards said...

Lovely Layout! Its simple to the point but beautiful. I love the colors and wow these are some great pictures. TFS AJ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...