Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's a Diaper Cake !!!

So here is my latest big project....it's a Diaper Cake!  Until recently, I had never even heard of such a thing.  Then, several weeks ago I found the Erin Lee Creative blog.  Erin is on the Design Team for Peachy Keen Stamps...that's how I found her.  And as I was going thru her videos, I found a video she made on how to construct a Diaper Cake.  If you are a visual person like I am - "how to" videos help out a lot.  So if you want to see a demonstration on creating a Diaper Cake...go check out her video.

My BFF's brother is having a baby girl in a few weeks, so here's my very first Diaper Cake that I made for his wife's baby shower:


For the "platter" - I used a cardboard cake circle that I bought at Joanns.  And then I covered it with the cutest baby girl fabric also from Joanns.  I used a total of 64 newborn diapers in the cake.  The bottom layer has 37 diapers.  The second layer up has 19 diapers.  The third layer up has 7 diapers.  And the top layer has just the one diaper.  To hide the rubber bands that are holding all the diapers together in each layer, I used a brown satin ribbon from Offray.  And in order to give the cake some stability (during it's travel time in the car) I used a wooden dowel from Michaels which I put thru the center of each layer.  Also around the bottom layer are several travel size baby products: baby wash, baby shampoo and baby lotion.

Here are some close up pictures and directions for each Cricut cut on the cake.  All the colored cardstock are from Recollections.  Let's start with the bottom layer - it has six images:


The bear is cut from the Create A Critter ~ Cricut cartridge.  The sparkly flower with a pearl center and the necklace of pearls are from Recollections.  I added some cute pink cheeks with chalk and stitching around the edges with a white ~ Sakura Gelly Roll pen and a brown ~ Zig Writer pen.


The lion is cut from the Create A Critter ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added the cute pink cheeks with chalk and the pen stitching around the edges to define the layers.  I also added some yellow ~ Stickles to the ears and the tail.


The elephant is cut from the Create A Critter ~ Cricut cartridge.  I did the same pink cheeks, pen stitching around the edges and the sparkly flower with a pearl center from Recollections.  I also added some cinnamon ~ Stickles to the tail. 


Next is the good old rubber ducky.  This cutie is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added pen stitching around the edges and some yellow ~ Stickles on the beak and the wing.


The hippo is cut from the Create A Critter ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added the same pen stitching around the edges.  For the flower - I added a mix of yellow & frosted lace ~ Stickles; and for the center I added a brad from Making Memories.


Our final critter on the bottom layer is this giraffe.  It's cut from the Sugar & Spice ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added the cute pink cheeks and the pen stitching around the edges.  I also added cinnamon ~ Stickles to the tail and the horns on the top (wasn't sure what those were called LOL but I looked it up and yes they are called horns).

Now for the layer second from the bottom, which also has six images:


These cute baby blocks are cut from the Stork's Delivery ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added pen stitching to give each block some definition.  And I added cinnamon ~ Stickles and fruit punch ~ Stickles to give the letters some sparkle.


The baby bottle is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added pen stitching to define the layers.  And I added fruit punch ~ Stickles to the dark pink areas, and a mix of yellow &  frosted lace ~ Stickles to the stem of the flower and the rubber top.


This cute little baby toy is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  More pink cheeks, pen stitching and yellow & fruit punch ~ Stickles.


The baby carriage is cut from the Stork's Delivery ~ Cricut cartridge.  I added pen stitching to define the layers and fruit punch ~ Stickles on the bow for the extra sparkle.
  

The sippy cup is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  More pen stitching and fruit punch, yellow & frosted lace ~ Stickles.


The cute lollipop is cut from the Stork's Delivery ~ Cricut cartridge.  The center brad is from Making Memories and of course more pen stitching and fruit punch ~ Stickles.

Ok...almost done....LOL...now moving up to the third layer from the bottom - there are four images on this layer:


First up, this super cute teddy bear rattle.  It is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  It has the cute pink cheeks, pen stitching around the edges and fruit punch ~ Stickles.


The safety pin is cut from the Sugar & Spice ~ Cricut cartridge.  It has pen stitching and fruit punch ~ Stickles.


The pacifier is cut from the Baby Steps ~ Cricut cartridge.  More pen stitching and a mix of yellow & frosted lace ~ Stickles.


Another safety pin - just a different color.


And last but not least is the top layer of the cake and the stork.....he is cut from the Sugar & Spice ~ Cricut cartridge.  It has pen stitching and both yellow & cinnamon ~ Stickles.  And since they will be naming their little bundle of joy "Rylee" - I stamped the letter "R" on the baby bundle.  The stamp is from the Technique Tuesday ~ Start Me Up: Addison stamp set.


Well that's it......my very first Diaper Cake!  My pictures don't even come close to how cute it is in person.  I almost hated to give it away LOL.  Hope you enjoyed it.

I have no idea what my next big project is, but I will be back soon with more cards and Challenge entries.  Have a great week everyone!

~Cassandra

7 comments :

L.B. said...

This is just wonderful. I think these are very cool looking centerpieces and gifts, Great job.

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

This will make a wonderful gift! I know you put a lot of work in it and it shows. Awesome! TFS

JenL said...

Wow, what a great cake. Thank you so much for posting how you made it!! I've seen so many of them, but never with directions. TFS!!

craftaholic said...

Wow Cassandra!!
Your Diaper cake is super Awesome!! I know what you mean when the photo's do not do it justice!!! Thanks for sharing and I Have a Nice Award for you over on my blog!! I need help spreading the word about my huge giveaway, would you be so kind to help a fellow circlett that has joined for yet another year...LOL TIA!!

http://ibecircled.blogspot.com
Rexann♥

Jill_in_AL said...

O-M-G is the cake great and your Critters are amazing! I also LOVE the Jelly Roll pens. What a fantastic gift =) Too cute to use almost.

Love your blog and all the links to your projects -- will be back, J

JanJan808Kreate said...

Such an adorable diaper cake...soo kreative...just became a follower...hope you do the same...http://janjan808kreate.blogspot.com/

ediapercakes.com said...

Your diaper cake is really lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...